Saturday 24 January 2009

Spring anticipation: my first purchases from spring collections

One of the great thing about the change of seasons is...actually...change itself! I love change, especially positive change, and I cannot think of a more positive season as the lovely spring waiting to stick its head behind Winter's grumpy head.

Spring is light, spring is hopeful, Spring is the Obama of the seasons...
I also love the change in clothing and makeup. Actually, I even prefer makeup, because you can put on a spring-loving face even if winter is still forcing you to stay in your confortable sweater and tights.
My very first spring item I purchased has been the Coffret d'Or Shine Accent Eyes in 01 Orange Spring. I did not buy this based on the reviews this time, because I had read (on Rouge Deluxe) that they were not very pigmented at all. It was a bit of a gut feeling and a longing for lightness that I was drawn to the iridescence of the palette. As for the colours...I love the way how a tinge of peachness brings out the green in my eyes, so I picked the palette with a peachy colour and a golden glittery colour.
Okay, it is showtime....It has been waiting for two weeks now and my dear Coffret d'Or needs to show its beautiful face right now.




I like the colours. I consider the peachy colour on the left and the brownish colour on the right to be my favourites. Both are shimmery and very soft.
The White colour on top is almost matte with a few sparkles: I know that Japanese palettes often include a white highlighter like this, but it is not my fave.
The glittery gold in the centre is a cream-like formula. I am not sure about this yet...I need to test it a bit further.

Same colours, different angle.


I consider this palette to be a neutral with a twist. I think it will make a lovely look on the days when I go to University to follow some of my new courses (soon, which is another thing I am looking forward to).
In addition, I felt the need to buy a lipgloss today...and so I did. I was slightly influenced (actually heavily) by several pictures of Fuzkitty and her love for Dior.

I was happy to notice that my favourite shop had their Spring collection of Christian Dior in store. Sometimes it takes ages for our country to stock up on seasonal collections: I see swatches posted on several blogs months before I can finally see and buy it myself, but this time they are not late at all.
I already saw swatches of the Dior Spring edition on Karlasugar's super swatch blog. Karlasugar makes amazing swatches on her arm...I always wonder how the salespersons look at her when she walks out the store with complete collections drawn on her arm....or she might actually be a salesperson on a cosmetic floor and walks out in her break to make pictures. Anyway, back to me...LOL, and my Dior lipgloss.
Ok, I saw Karlasugar's swatches and was completely convinced that 657 Pink Satin would become my new love...my ultimate My Lips But Better Nude lipgloss. Oh boy oh boy, was I right! It is a pinky nude with reddish glimmers inside....
But first, the box...I love the Blue tinge of the Dior box...


I like to tote around several Japanese, aka unknown to this region, kind of lip products...very niche. Now I have a completely recognizable lipgloss in my purse. By the way, it is my first full-size Dior lipgloss.




Most people are quite familiar with Dior, but I still want to show you what I like about this gloss. The aplicator is a brush instead of a felt tip: I love this system for applying lipgloss. A spongy applicator can sometimes be a pain for applying a large dose (you have to keep on scooping in your tube).


Glossy, non-sticky, a reddish nude with reddish and gold glimmer particles inside. Yes, it is pigmented which is a good thing for my very pigmented red lips...It tones them down a notch and looks more...harmonic...

Last picture...all of the swatches of my new Spring products together. Great for a pulled-together neutral look!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

lovely swatches!!! i love the look of that gloss. dior makes some of the best ones in the market!

birkinbagbeauty said...

Thanks Jojoba. Dior makes some wonderful quints as well. I consider Dior to be one of the few department store brands that I really appreciate qualitywise.

Mary said...

I love the eyeshadow colors!!..very neutral colors that I like!

Jamilla Camel said...

My Coffret D'or #01 Orange Variation just arrived today, along with a tube of Majolica Majorca Lash Expander Neo.

Let's compare notes and thanks for the swatches!

cheryl said...

helen great stuff u got for spring. i got a shiseido item too tonight. hey i LOVE the lunasol palette: it's the most flattering shades for me! thanks again! hope u like the acqua di parma body cream. it's an amazing spring/summer scent.

fuzkittie said...

Looovely colors!! Dior lippies are the best!

Yumeko said...

yes i agree the palette isnt very pigmented but alas the packaging suckered me in hahaah

u picked a lovely color for building up though

and i looove glosses with a brush too

Anonymous said...

Wow, the eyeshadow palette looks superbly pigmented, and absolutely perfect for Spring, what a good choice! The gloss looks very pretty as well, I looove Dior lippies :)

Anonymous said...

You got some great stuff.
I love the color of the lipgloss, it's very petty. And I prefer glosses with a brush too.

Unknown said...

Gorgeous start to the year Birkie!! Dior glosses are fantabulous!

MiuMiu said...

O-M-G...i have to get that coffret d'or palette now!