Sunday 21 September 2014

Eye Prime me up: Kanebo Kate Lash Maximizer Black vs Diorshow Maximizer lash Plumping Serum

Out with the new, in with the newer! 

 That might sum up the review I will bring about on 3 eyelash primers. There's actually an old one too, but it performs similarly as the newer, only in a different colour.

For reviewing sake let me introduce: Kanebo Kate Mascara Base, Kanebo Kate Lash Maximizer Black & Dior Diorshow Lash Plumping Serum.


Starting with 'old': Kanebo Kate Eyelash Base. It has been on the market for more than 6 years. Eyelash primers have only taken a more prominent role on the Western market recently but they have been favourite tools among Asian lash-afficionados for a longer time. I only know it for about 6 years but it has been a miracle tool for keeping my curl and having made-up lashes.

Recently Kate introduced a newer version of the lashbase that I reviewed here. I picked the white version that I used up quite efficiently. Afterwards I went for the rave-reviewed Western Diorshow Lash Maximizer.

Though lovingly moisturizing for my lashes, it did not keep my eyelashcurler-primed lashes into a decent curl.


Thus out with the new...in with the newer:


Comparing the different brushes & colour of the primer:

My oldest version of Kanebo Kate Lash Base comes with a straight but soft-haired brush. The formula is supposed to be totally white, but sometimes I transfer the black of the tightliner into the tube again. I do clean up my brush after priming by removing everything with a tissue, but sometimes a tiny bit of black eyepencil stays on and it turns into a greyish mass. That's also a reason I replace eyeprimers oftenly, for hygienic reason.

As said in the earlier review: I love how it performs. Length & keeps the curl in it's form. The only thing is that you have to coat every lash with mascara afterwards to stop the white base from appearing. 

That's when the newer version Kate Lash Maximizer in Black makes such a fantastic primer: you can either plump up your lashes with extra mascara or keep the coat for as it is.


Kate Lash Maximizer Black has a sparse amount of fibres included. They are fewer than in the white version of the Lash Maximizer's series. That might be a relief for people not liking over-fibre-ish bases.
As for the black colour: it appears rather glossy on the eyelashes. Perhaps not the blackest of black but I do think it appears in the truest colour most mascara brands would market they colour 'black'. Only few brands like Hourglass Film Noir make an inky black glossy version that almost glistens from your eyelashes; the rest somewhat varies in colour and gloss factor.

The brush is a classic, slightly bend one with synthetic but bendable hairs. The formula holds up really long: I'd say it hold like a waterproof version. At least, the base survives a shower whereas the 'topping' mascara on top lovingly merges on my cheeks. So I suggest a good waterproof mascara cleanser for removing every trace.

Which brings me why Diorshow was not really into my alley: I already mentioned the formula not lenghtening my lashes enough, nor keeping my curl in place. Then there's the brush:
Brushes are a matter of taste and perhaps of the type of eyelashes you have. I never really liked the plastic brushes with their short but stiff ends. That is precisely the type of brush on the Diorshow Lash serum.

On the positive side: it removes a lot easier than Kate's formula. I guess that makes it perfect for lashes that are easier to be curled/already curly. 

I cannot say too much about the lash-serum effect. I've used it too sporadically to notice a difference.

Conclusion: I prefer the cheaper & more effective Kanebo Kate and love the new black version of it.

1 comment:

Ellie said...

Thanks for your review! I heard the newer version of the Kate base in white packaging has black fibres?